/fanfic/ - Fanfiction

Fanfiction, Ao3 and Writing

Index Catalog Archive Bottom Refresh
Name
Options
Subject
Message

Max message length: 8001

files

Max file size: 32.00 MB

Total max file size: 50.00 MB

Max files: 5

Supported file types: GIF, JPG, PNG, WebM, OGG, and more

E-mail
Password

(used to delete files and posts)

Misc

Remember to follow the Rules

The backup domains are located at 8chan.se and 8chan.cc. TOR access can be found here, or you can access the TOR portal from the clearnet at Redchannit 3.0.



8chan.moe is a hobby project with no affiliation whatsoever to the administration of any other "8chan" site, past or present.


Nanowrimo Thread 07/11/2023 (Tue) 14:22:36 No. 29
>What's Nanowrimo https://nanowrimo.org/ NaNoWriMo is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that believes in the transformational power of creativity. We provide the structure, community, and encouragement to help people use their voices, achieve creative goals, and build new worlds—on and off the page. Anyone here planning on writing for it? And if so what are you gonna write?
>>29 I haven't heard of this until now and have no idea what it is.
>The YWP website is intended for the following audiences: >Young writers under 18 years of age and/or participating with a registered K-12 educator >Adults facilitating the YWP in schools, libraries, or community spaces >Parents or guardians facilitating or reviewing the YWP >If you are not part of one of these audiences, you may not use the YWP website. If you are not part of one of these audiences and have established an account, it will be immediately deleted and your access will be blocked. >The YWP website does not allow search-indexing or public access to user profiles, novels, or forums. Ok no. Think the "under 18 years of age" is a big disqualifier.
>>31 Huh well fuck that then.
I checked their site again and I mistook the YWP for their organization. https://www.nanowrimo.org/terms-conditions That's their actual terms and conditions.
I gave the website a try. It mainly looks like a writing community with some tracking, friends, and grouping features.
(51.57 KB 976x850 1688202770341542.jpg)

>>29 Is it just me or is LGBTQ+ an extremely common theme on Nanowrimo?
It annoys me to no end. I joined nanowrimo, to join a writing community, but that's not how it is. You join nanowrimo to join a discord for one of the many writing communities.
>>29 Since a NaNoWriMo thread is here, what is your best advice on writing? What about best advice for a beginner on writing?
>>37 That sounds really broad, but I'd say to focus on the advantages of the medium. Many fanfiction or amateur writers try to write what their character looks like or write in the accents, but visual and aural detail is writing's weakness and where visual arts and music excels. (You can convey a conscious experience, other senses like smell and touch, and events of a story with a fraction of production time and costs.) Then (arguably) work with small projects and short stories first, if your thought process fits that. You can still make a novel out of a collection of short stories. I generally do it so I can focus on a specific theme per (5-10K words) without forcing the reader to read 30K words before getting to a point.
>>35 Nanowrimo is most popular among tumblr or tumblr adjacent communities. A real shame because I can't take their 'luvy duvy' approach to criticism. Not much productive gets done because it's full of 'liked the idea of writing, not writing' types. In any good group they're shot the fuck down, but with 'luvy duvy' discords you're called a gatekeeper who's ruining someones hobby, never mind they posted about how they wanted it to be a job.
>>53 That's weird. I checked it out a few times and I got the opposite impression. A lot of it seems business focused (productivity software) and aimed towards getting published. They also have an unusually traditional view of copyright.
>>57 You must have joined a self publishing discord instead of a 'luvy duvy' one as the anon called it. I've been in those worse discords before.
>>74 >using discord lmao never. I went to their forums and that's it.
>>75 Eh. It's good for gaming in a personal invite only discord with friends.
>>79 No. Even if you ignore all the security/privacy concerns, there is absolutely no reason to use discord even for gaming, even if it's "good" for gaming. People have been playing online for decades without needing 3rd party programs, shitty or not.
>>79 I just shoot people on steam with an invite lol.
Anyone going to do Nanowrimo this year (while avoiding discords and nano forums)?
>>82 Maybe, but with short stories.
>>82 I would be up for it, but I fear that my muse is on vacation now. Maybe I have spent all my creative drive for the year already? I have already written more this year than any other year before, so it could be my well has run dry for now.
(16.77 KB 400x300 Suigintou PC.png)

>>82 I've had a few ideas that could work, but I'm likely gonna be too busy with other projects to write.
(683.76 KB 500x500 ClipboardImage (1).png)

(2.97 MB 1600x900 ClipboardImage.png)

(8.51 MB 2500x1404 ClipboardImage (2).png)

I'm not really planning for NaNoWriMo, but I started writing again around the end of October so I guess I'm going for it. I'm writing about a magician in fantasy medieval times with PTSD as he tries to find his place as a farmer in a post-war society. He was a court magician but he had to flee the castle after he fucked up a summoning ritual while accompanying the prince of the country out to war. This caused an eldritch abomination beyond his control to manifest that wiped out both armies including the crown prince.
>>98 Sounds like he'd have survivor's guilt as well.
>>99 I didn't realize that was a condition, but looking into it yes, his mentality would reflect that too.
>>100 You never heard of that before?
(159.22 KB 644x910 1471564225031.png)

So did anyone write anything?
>>109 July is a terrible month to write anything.
anything
>>109 Sure did, didn't actually finish anything though.


Forms
Delete
Report
Quick Reply